Monday, August 18, 2014

COLGATE OPTIC WHITE TOOTHPASTE REVIEW

If you are an avid caffeine drinker like myself, then you may have the same problems as I do. For almost a year now I have been looking for a solution for my yellowing teeth. I have tried home remedies, I have contemplated on buying the WhiteLight teeth whiteners and I was almost desperate enough to rush to a dentist and get my teeth whitened for  10,000 Php.

My sister advised me to try Colgate Optic White. I gave it some thought and decided to give the product a chance. It's way way cheaper than WhiteLight and a trip to the dentist. Plus, the worst thing that could happen is that I will get minty breath.

I got my full sized Optic White from Watson's Drug Store at SM Novaliches. It was worth  107 Php about 2.50 USD.
This is what the packaging looks like from the front. I must say it looks really impressive. It doesn't have and overly happy couple on the box. It's just a simple red and silver packaging with a holographic rainbow sheet cover.
The full sized toothpaste weighs a hundred grams, which may not be a lot compare to other toothpaste but considering the things that it's claiming to do then I suppose 107 Pesos for 100 g is a fair price.
This is what the product looks like out of its box. It looks like a shorter version of a family sized toothpaste. The wide cap also serves as stand which is pretty handy if like your bathroom to look organized on the cupboard. It saves you a lot of space too.

The directions are written in three languages, English, Chinese and Malay. It also says that it should be used every after meal at least three times a day. And that I should thoroughly brush for two minutes.
This is what the actual product looks like. Nothing special really, there are blue flecks incorporated with the toothpaste.

It felt really weird using optic white for the first time.  The texture was really gritty in my mouth. The minty flavor wasn't too strong either, just like a regular old toothpaste. Basically, it would almost be the same if I mix regular toothpaste and baking soda together (Yup. I've tried that. I was borderline desperate for whiter teeth)
Please excuse my horrifying mouth.
The first two days of using the product, my gum started to hurt. The area where the arrow is pointing is where the gum actually bled. It was painful and uncomfortable but definitely NOT unbearable.

After finding out that Optic White just made my gums bleed,  I thought to myself that there is no way I will brush my teeth 3x a day for 2 minutes using this abrasive product.

So, instead of religiously following the directions and brushing 3x a day, sometimes I would only use it twice and for a shorter period of time. I also avoided brushing near the softer areas in my mouth and concentrating on the center of my teeth where the red oval is in order to avoid getting canker sores.

My lips also started peeling after I started using this product. Peeling in a good way, as in they are being exfoliated every time I brush my teeth because of the abrasive foam.

Also, I don't know if you can tell by the picture but some areas on my teeth had been lighter. It's not a very noticeable difference but I have been very conscious of my teeth lately and I have noticed a minute lightening around the encircled areas.

So finally, does the product work?
Yes, to an extent. But my teeth are not one shade lighter as the packaging promised. True, I didn't follow the directions properly but I feel that if I did, my gums, tongue and inner cheeks would have been in worse shape and I would be in so much pain. I am planning to continue using it because it did improve the color of my teeth even though it wasn't a dramatic change.

I would recommend Optic White if you do not have a sensitive mouth. And if you plan on trying it out, I suggest that you concentrate an the center of your mouth and avoid your gums, cheeks and tongue area.

Over all, it is a pretty good product but if you want an instant dramatic change on your teeth then perhaps this product isn't for you.

Thank you for reading
XO
Internet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment